Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Best Friend



When my husband and I moved to South Carolina (thanks, United States Air Force), we decided our beautiful Siberian Husky Sinatra needed a companion.  So we found an ad on Craig's List for black Labrador Retriever puppies.  They were only $50 and the owners really did not want the puppies.  I had truly wanted to adopt our second dog, however, we figured these puppies were unwanted enough to justify not adopting.

So, we met the owners in the parking lot of a grocery store with all these sweet black labs in the back of their SUV.  I immediately locked eyes with a little female.  Her intensely loving brown eyes were all I needed to see.  I picked her up and it was an instant love.  I wanted her.  She wanted me.  And she was mine.  We paid $50 for what would be the sweetest, most affectionate, goofy, funny, curious, and needy creature I've ever known.  I named her Daphne Alabama (after the city and state I lived in as a child, though Lady Gaga came in close second).  She also answers to Daphie, Baby, Honey Girl, and simply Daph.

As a puppy, she slept in my arms in our bed.  She curled up against my chest and slept with me each night.  She still sleeps with me every night, but now at 70 pounds, she prefers to spread out at the foot of the bed, causing me to twist my legs into uncomfortable positions. 

She's approaching her second birthday and she's my little love, my cuddle buddy, my Honey Girl.  I often tell my husband that he's not my soulmate, she is. 

Daphne isn't "just a dog" to me.  I have such a special relationship with her.  She approaches every day with energy, joy, and an abudance of tail-wagging.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive." -- Gilda Radner

No comments:

Post a Comment